The Grand Rapids Chamber’s Diverse Business Enterprise certification program is the only West Michigan certification program offered to minority, veteran, women, and LGBTQ+ owned businesses. Certifications are provided to increase transparency and to create opportunities for procurement with supplier diversity programs with the area’s largest companies.
The certification of diverse-owned businesses gives West Michigan organizations a competitive advantage when working with the greater business community without additional barriers such as pending citizenship status or access to capital. The process will be the first step to other certifications outside of our jurisdictions.
Having the support and approval of the Grand Rapids Chamber will give these businesses a competitive edge when bidding for contracts with local companies.
The Diverse Business Enterprise certification process will consist of the following:
Application & Processing Fees
- Price: Complimentary for Chamber members; $50 application fee for non-members.
- Application will be available online on the Grand Rapids Chamber website.
- Certification will be available for members and non-members alike.
Administrative Document Review
As part of the application, business owners are required to provide the following information to the Grand Rapids Chamber for review:
- Business registration/license.
- EIN/Tax ID documentation
- Two financial documents providing a picture of the financial position of your organization. These documents can include a tax statement, income statement, balance sheet, profit and loss statement, cash flow statement, sales report, etc.
Site Visit and Verification
- Site visit will consist of a 45-minute onsite visit by a Chamber staff member with managing business owner to ensure the business site matches the submitted application.
- Certification Committee Review and Approval
- The committee will consist of Chamber members from various organizations in West Michigan. The committee will have one week to approve the certification or give revisions to the business.
- Certificate as an official designated diverse business enterprise will be presented to the business owner for display in their businesses. Certifications are valid for one year.
To ensure an efficient and high quality certification process, businesses will be notified of their final certification status within 30 business days.
Questions? Contact Caylie Peet at firstname.lastname@example.org or 616-771-0330.